Filipino Printers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Message Board for the Philippine Printing Industry (Established 2007)

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Printing industry -- how did you start?

Go down 
+7
Arnold Abigan
frgman59
ibler
IAZ
presstech
Sandman
GOR
11 posters
AuthorMessage
GOR

Number of posts : 31

Printing industry -- how did you start? Empty
PostSubject: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 11:30 pm

First, I was quite glad to find this forum. I just wish more will participate.

I got started with the printing industry right after college. I was hired in the Regional Service Center. Worked there for 2 years and then moved on to a different industry.

I learned a lot in RSC but have forgotten most of them ... I think. The training with RSC as I remember was fast phased. I was assigned in different departments: typesetting, proof reading, stripping, color separation, plate-making, planning, printing-sheetfed and web, binding. I spent more time with 2 and 4 color offset. The guys there were great. Unfortunately, I lost in touch with all of them.

I am now planning to go back in the printing industry. I will definitely need advise from the experts from this forum as I wanted to setup my own printing shop. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sandman

Sandman

Number of posts : 404

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 1:46 am

Welcome to the site, GOR! I'm sure madaming makakatulong sayo dito.
Back to top Go down
presstech

presstech

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 11:19 am

Welcome GOR!

By the way, this is the first time I heard of the Regional Service Center. Is this the former printing plant of the US Embassy or USAID in Roxas boulevard? Question
Back to top Go down
GOR

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 22, 2008 11:20 pm

Thank for the welcome Sir larrysison and Sir presstech.

Yes Sir. Regional Service Center was the printing facility ng US Embassy. They are using a different name now. I just can't remember.

One side ay nasa Roxas boulevard and the other ay sa front ng Pasay City Hall. Not sure which is the front-side Rolling Eyes Pero sa harap ng City hall ang entrance namin noon.
Back to top Go down
IAZ

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 8:09 pm

I've been in printing for 20years. Started with a company doing frozen food wrappers using flexographic printing methods. Then worked witha company doing offset printing sheet fed printing pull tabs and lottery tickets. After that I was with a company printing catalogs doing offset web printing. And today I am with a company doing foil stamping and embossing. So I have seen a variety of printing methods.

I currently also own a company marketing products from the philippines including printing. I have a market here in the US for printing materials. So I joined this site hoping to do some networking.

Peace

Kiko
Back to top Go down
http://infinityalphaomega.com
Sandman

Sandman

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2008 12:03 am

Welcome aboard, Kiko!
Back to top Go down
ibler

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeThu May 01, 2008 2:07 pm

Hi Kiko! Welcome!

I run a little printshop. I wish t was mine! Razz

I'm also part owner a small graphic design outfit.
Back to top Go down
frgman59

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeSun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello Everybody,

I'm glad that i found this forum. Right now I run a screen printing shop to support our current corporate giveaways business. I'm hoping that through this forum I will learn how to set-up/operate my own offset printing business soon.

Thanks,

Fred
Back to top Go down
GOR

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2008 11:59 pm

frgman59 wrote:
Hello Everybody,

I'm glad that i found this forum. Right now I run a screen printing shop to support our current corporate giveaways business. I'm hoping that through this forum I will learn how to set-up/operate my own offset printing business soon.

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred! Do you guys use automatic screen printing? Like that TAS thing?
Back to top Go down
frgman59

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 9:05 am

[quote="GOR"]
frgman59 wrote:
Hello Everybody,

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred! Do you guys use automatic screen printing? Like that TAS thing?[no we do our printing creatively :-)]
Back to top Go down
Arnold Abigan

Number of posts : 1

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 11:24 am

Very Happy Hi Everybody!
I just want to introduce myself, though our family is not new in the printing industry, I still want to keep in touch with industry players. I am presently living here in Anaheim, California and working at a Minuteman Press franchise in Los Alamitos. For 2 years I operated a 900 square foot quick print shop in Anaheim named Pinoy Printing cheers (I'm proud to be Pinoy) and sold it to another group of Filipinos last year (2007) who later named it MLP Printing. My father was a former director of the Printing Association of the Phils. PIAP (Atty. Edmundo Abigan Jr.) who owns Philguides Inc., a publishing company which specializes in maps. Before I left the Phils., I helped my father put up Metrosouth Printing Corp. in 1996 and even went as far as franchising the business in 2004-2005. I am seeking help from anyone of you guys who would want to partner with me in preserving our business. My parents are intent on retiring and would like to close our last remaining branch at SM City Bacoor. I also want to help bring in technology from the U.S. but my problem is I need people who are business minded who could help me continue doing business from here. bounce
Back to top Go down
GOR

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeTue May 27, 2008 11:20 pm

Welcome Arnold!

Wow! Printing runs in your blood. Sayang naman to "retire" the business. Let's discuss sometime and see if we are on the same wavelength.

Cheers! Smile
Back to top Go down
signcrafter

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 8:30 pm

im glad i was able to find my way into this forum. i started an artshop in tacloban city way back 1996 with just 1,500 pesos capital & now business has been good we already have a mutoh large format printer & im planning to buy another printer, a Flora Solvent printer dis december. pero pangarap ko talaga makabili ng printer for cellophane & bags kaso di ko pa alam kung anong printer ang ginagamit dun. anyone who is already in the business who can help me? anyway im just operating in Leyte & samar so im not going to be a threat to ur business.hehehe
Back to top Go down
http://www.laderaartspot.com
jedmaster

Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 9:31 am

hello everyone!

..honestly, i started quite unexpectedly.. Just to share with you guys, i'm a commerce grad major in Marketing, I also took up nursing and became a registered nurse after taking and passing my boards.. never had i even imagine myself working in a printing shop! hahaha.. Laughing

..currently enjoying the biz though.. Wink

I got here because of my wife, her mom owns the Printing Press and naturally she grew up with it and it was transferred to her when my in-law passed away.. Right now we do mostly receipts, invitations and some digi printing products but i'm hoping in the near future we could add more products and service to our roster..

Wishlist also includes a brand new or secondhand Mutoh large format printer also.. Very Happy

Good day!

Jed V.
Back to top Go down
ibler

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 7:04 pm

Arnold,

it's sad to hear that your family is closing shop. to echo GORs sentiments, drop me a line and we'll see what happens.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sandman

Sandman

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Sanamagan, ibler. You're alive!
Back to top Go down
ibler

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 6:56 pm

yeah sir larry!

just lurking around and waiting for the right time to contribute something significant.

ehehhehe

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Armand

Armand

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 5:46 pm

Hi GOR..like you I worked at RSC from 1988 to 1994 (5 years).

I am now in my 27th year in the industry that started while in high school..(wow...tanda ko na rin sa industria).

I started as manual typesetter sa Regular Printing (1982)..11 pesos a day.
Then became a camerista, platemaker, plate-grainer and solna helper. Then I became color-stripper, Production and Planning Coordinator, Production Supervisor and now I am the Production Manager for 13 years at Tone Guide Press, Inc. My career in the industry covers from manual pre-press to electronic pre-press, conventional to digital printing, from commercial to packaging, from publishing to security printing.

My list of employers:

Regular Printing
Manila Advertising
Guaranteed Enterprises
Synergon Printing
Apo-Neda
Velprint
RSC-US Embassy
Agfa Phils (Photokina)
Saudi Signs Supply (Jeddah KSA)
Printwell, Inc
Fortune Packaging Corporation
Scanwell Graphics
Tone Guide Press, Inc.

Tone Guide is the leading security printer in the country, we print 70% of all the checks in the banking sector.

thats my story..hindi po resume' ito he he..
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 1:01 am

Armand wrote:
Hi GOR..like you I worked at RSC from 1988 to 1994 (5 years).

I am now in my 27th year in the industry that started while in high school..(wow...tanda ko na rin sa industria).

thats my story..hindi po resume' ito he he..

Hello Armand and to all! This is GOR. I have registed under a new handle because I forgot my password here and the email I was using before was no longer active.

Armand, so di tayo nag-abot sa RSC? I think there was another Armand there who's from Novaliches.

Do you still have contact with the guys there? Particularly Jimmy (chinese guy). We were classmates back in college. Pls PM his comtact number if you have.

What about the other veterans there -- Bert, Vic, Cora, Aling P, Steve, Dandy, Ruby? Last info re Cora was she's with UN in New York as per Steve G's email a few yrs ago.

It's been a long time tough and I think many of them are already retired.

cheers!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Printing industry -- how did you start?   Printing industry -- how did you start? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Printing industry -- how did you start?
Page 1 of 1