Filipino Printers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Message Board for the Philippine Printing Industry (Established 2007)

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

CTP Work Flow

Go down 
+3
Doctor Blade
Sandman
f2sangreo
7 posters
AuthorMessage
f2sangreo

f2sangreo

Number of posts : 20
Location : 79 Molave St., corner Kamagong St., Duyan-Duyan, Proj. 3, QC.

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 11:24 pm

I'm certainly new in CTP. My question is -- does workflows differ depending on the kind of machine or there is only one general workflow for all CTP's?

Need some basic sample (if any). Answers are intended for customer inquiry esp. those who are new in this technology.

tnx in advance
Back to top Go down
http://francosangreo.multiply.com/
Sandman

Sandman

Number of posts : 404

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 1:01 am

Depende sir. Iba-iba kasi ang needs ng bawat organization.

Simple lang
1. Manual imposition done in InDesign; export to PDF
2. RIP
3. Output driver
4. CTP starts imaging

Medyo complex
1. Imposition done in Preps; export to PDF
2. Trapping (True/False)
3. Preflight Check
3. icc Color Management
4. Device-Link Transformation/Ink-Save
5. RIP
6. Output Driver 1 for newspaper (CTP 1 @ 100lpi/1270dpi)
7. Output Driver 2 for commercial (CTP 2 @ 175lpi/2540dpi)
8. Ink preset (CIP3)
9. CTP starts imaging

etc....

But basically, most, if not all CTPs accept 1-bit TIFFs. Meaning you can use an Agfa RIP and feed it to your Screen CTP via an output driver.

My thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Blade

Doctor Blade

Number of posts : 64

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:23 pm

f2sangreo wrote:
I'm certainly new in CTP. My question is -- does workflows differ depending on the kind of machine or there is only one general workflow for all CTP's?

Need some basic sample (if any). Answers are intended for customer inquiry esp. those who are new in this technology.

tnx in advance

If you buy a CTP you are at liberty to choose your own workflow but oftentimes the supplier bundles it with a workflow that they can support or what comes with the CTP brand. Example, if you buy an ECRM it will be bundled with a Workmates workflow. Agfa CTP comes with Apogee, Heidelberg with Meta Dimension, Dainipon with Truflow, etc. Kodak CTP is sold with a Prinergy workflow which can print directly to the device, which means that you don't have to convert your RIPped image to a 1-bit TIFF in order to be imaged by the CTP.
You can of course buy any brand of CTP and then use a third-party workflow but you have to add a "third box" because your third-party workflow may not be able to drive your CTP directly (but you have to check with the raster-box vendor if your chosen CTP is supported). So, essentially you will have your workflow (say a Harlequin RIP), in between will be a "raster box" (perhaps a Xitron Raster Blaster or a Compose Raster Print Station), and then of course your chosen CTP device. You create a 1-bit TIFF using your Harlequin and then pass to your "raster box" wherein you will set the plate size and orientation of the image on the plate and queuing priorities; and then the raster box connected via cable to your CTP will pass data to your CTP device for imaging.
One major downside though of not using the bundled workflow is it is not straightforward and easy to use the calibration utilities (exposure settings, media settings, plate calibration, tonal calibration utilities) of the third party workflows on your chosen CTP device.
In choosing workflows you have to consider the following:
1. Is it updated with the latest Adobe Print Engine to support layering and transparency you create in your layout software like the CS Adobe series?
2. You must be able to view or examine your final output on your monitor (softproof) like the Roaming capabilities of the Harlequin RIP (but this is rather slow and limited to two zooms). One good example is Kodak's Virtual Proofing Software wherein you can view all separations and examine half tone dot percentages at any zoom level.
3. Able to support last minute changes without going back to your raw file, as much as possible... in short able to support the JDF workflow.
4. Can handle automation.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dulay

Number of posts : 108

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 5:22 am

Quote :

Workflows differ only on the ease of use and the price tag on it. Here's a quick glimpse from file acceptance to plate.

1. Color Management system
2. PDF/X
3. Imposition
4. RIP (APPE or not)
5. TIFF catcher (some requires it)
6. PLATE

Actually generally the same with CtF workflow.
Back to top Go down
PK CTP

Number of posts : 7

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 12:52 pm

HI TO ALL
WE HAVE THE BEST PRICES FOR CTP OUTPUT
WE USE GERMAN ALUMINUM PLATES FOR CUSTOMERS WHO DEMAND THE BEST QUALITY OUTPUT FOR CTP PLATES AND WE CAN PROMISE YOU 24 hours SERVICE
JUST TO GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE WE CAN GIVE YOU THE PRICE OF 350 per plate
For KORD MO 650x550 PLATE SIZES .....
WE ARE DIRECT IMPORTERS OF PLATINA PLATES,USED IN GERMANY AS WELL AS OTHER EUROPEAN COUNTRIES
PLEASE LOOK FOR RENE OR NILMA 5853430
Back to top Go down
ARC

Number of posts : 50

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 1:26 pm

Bosing, besides what you mentioned, Apogee, Prinergy, Truflow, Meta Dimension, Workmates, comes with their own Plate setter engines or are traditionally bundled with their engine engine.

Can you name some Workflow brands available in the market that are working independently, meaning, they can be partnered with any plate setters?

I would say Xitron is one. What I wish is to get a picture and see which is available. Irregardless whether it's a Harlequin, Adobe based, or proprietary workflow engine.

Hope you can help me on this.

Doctor Blade wrote:
f2sangreo wrote:

tnx in advance

If you buy a CTP you are at liberty to choose your own workflow but oftentimes the supplier bundles it with a workflow that they can support or what comes with the CTP brand. Example, if you buy an ECRM it will be bundled with a Workmates workflow. Agfa CTP comes with Apogee, Heidelberg with Meta Dimension, Dainipon with Truflow, etc. Kodak CTP is sold with a Prinergy workflow which can print directly to the device, which means that you don't have to convert your RIPped image to a 1-bit TIFF in order to be imaged by the CTP.
You can of course buy any brand of CTP and then use a third-party workflow but you have to add a "third box" because your third-party workflow may not be able to drive your CTP directly (but you have to check with the raster-box vendor if your chosen CTP is supported). So, essentially you will have your workflow (say a Harlequin RIP), in between will be a "raster box" (perhaps a Xitron Raster Blaster or a Compose Raster Print Station), and then of course your chosen CTP device. You create a 1-bit TIFF using your Harlequin and then pass to your "raster box" wherein you will set the plate size and orientation of the image on the plate and queuing priorities; and then the raster box connected via cable to your CTP will pass data to your CTP device for imaging.
One major downside though of not using the bundled workflow is it is not straightforward and easy to use the calibration utilities (exposure settings, media settings, plate calibration, tonal calibration utilities) of the third party workflows on your chosen CTP device.
In choosing workflows you have to consider the following:
1. Is it updated with the latest Adobe Print Engine to support layering and transparency you create in your layout software like the CS Adobe series?
2. You must be able to view or examine your final output on your monitor (softproof) like the Roaming capabilities of the Harlequin RIP (but this is rather slow and limited to two zooms). One good example is Kodak's Virtual Proofing Software wherein you can view all separations and examine half tone dot percentages at any zoom level.
3. Able to support last minute changes without going back to your raw file, as much as possible... in short able to support the JDF workflow.
4. Can handle automation.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
presstech

presstech

Number of posts : 257

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 4:52 pm

ARC wrote:
Bosing, besides what you mentioned, Apogee, Prinergy, Truflow, Meta Dimension, Workmates, comes with their own Plate setter engines or are traditionally bundled with their engine engine.

Can you name some Workflow brands available in the market that are working independently, meaning, they can be partnered with any plate setters?

I would say Xitron is one. What I wish is to get a picture and see which is available. Irregardless whether it's a Harlequin, Adobe based, or proprietary workflow engine.

RTI is a Harlequin based rip that supports many CtP brands. The dealer here is B & W Commercial.
Back to top Go down
ARC

Number of posts : 50

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 8:19 pm

Any other Workflow RIPS, Sir available?

How about Australian based Softwares?

Any suggestions?

presstech wrote:
ARC wrote:

RTI is a Harlequin based rip that supports many CtP brands. The dealer here is B & W Commercial.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CTP Work Flow Empty
PostSubject: Re: CTP Work Flow   CTP Work Flow Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CTP Work Flow
Page 1 of 1