Filipino Printers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Message Board for the Philippine Printing Industry (Established 2007)

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]

Go down 
+5
Doctor Blade
presstech
billy
Sandman
APC
9 posters
AuthorMessage
APC

APC

Number of posts : 31

[b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Empty
PostSubject: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 10:54 pm

Hi all,
I would like to hear your opinion on the following statement:

"CtP will only show press problems earlier instead of improving print quality"

I hear often that companies buy (or planning to buy) CtP, based on the assumption that this would improve their quality and solve their problems. In my opinion this assumption is wrong. CtP can improve quality only when everything else (especially the press department) is under control. In case this is not the fact it only will make certain problems more visible (and you cannot play around anymore as you were used to in conventional plate making)

Looking forward to your comments
Back to top Go down
Sandman

Sandman

Number of posts : 404

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2008 11:06 pm

To be honest, if only people in both prepress and press departments are TRAINED and are just willing to use process controls; and if management is willing to invest in measuring devices, then I think we can produce excellent prints without switching to CTP.

But if we're talking about improving our cycle time then CTP makes sense.

My thoughts only.
Back to top Go down
APC

APC

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 12:31 am

You're absolutely right Larry.
Training and willingness to control the process are the basic ingredients for a succesful implementation of CtP. Only investing in equipment does not make sense.
Unfortunately many suppliers want to make their customers believe that only buying a product will solve everything. Especially in CtP this seems to be a common practice. When you buy CtP you can print stochastic screening........ Unfortunately it is the press which makes that possible or not.......
Back to top Go down
billy

billy

Number of posts : 179

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 9:59 am

CTP will improve the DOT Gain compared to conventional Film to Plate if considering it was calibrated and linearize properly. But on the Press side it will worsen the problem if they do not standardize it. Image dots can not be printed or too much dot gain.
Back to top Go down
APC

APC

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 4:01 pm

Cakibration and linearization is indeed a necessity. One other important point it\s that curves which are implemented to correct the dotgain of the press are often not correct. a standard curve as you can find them in CtP sytems does not necessarily reflect the actual dotgain of the press. A linear test of the press has to be done first in order t determine the actual dotgain. Based on that a correct curve can be determined.
Back to top Go down
Sandman

Sandman

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 6:03 pm

Yup...yup. And equally important is to set our rollers as well as to monitor our blanket height BEFORE doing press calibration. Otherwise we will be measuring a moving target.
Back to top Go down
presstech

presstech

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 4:17 pm

APC wrote:
Hi all,

I hear often that companies buy (or planning to buy) CtP, based on the assumption that this would improve their quality and solve their problems. In my opinion this assumption is wrong. CtP can improve quality only when everything else (especially the press department) is under control. In case this is not the fact it only will make certain problems more visible (and you cannot play around anymore as you were used to in conventional plate making)

It is unfortunate that some printing company owners look at CtP as a Cure-All remedy for their quality problems. I have encountered so many who have discussed their interest to go CtP because of this "CtP will solve my problems" mentality.

For example, a few years ago, the publisher of a daily newspaper discussed with me his plans to implement CtP because the major dailies like Star and Enquirer were using CtP. He assumed that the higher quality of their publications was due to the use of CtP in the prepress process. I explained that the major dailies were using CtP because they needed to produce a large quantity of plates within a short lead time due to the large number of pages to be printed. Because the printing process is web on newsprint at 65 lpi, CtP would have no effect on print quality. I advised him to instead use his funds to rehabilitate his web presses.

One of the advises I often give is for companies to run 200 lpi from their CtF setup. This screen resolution is definitely within the capability of a CtF system as long as the equipment, particularly the platemaker, are calibrated. When he has reached this level and wants to run higher resolutions, then he can consider upgrading to CtP.
Back to top Go down
Sandman

Sandman

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 2:26 am

I guess one has to really know the limitations of his own system (RIP, CtF, vacuum frame, and press) if what he's producing, in terms of cost and quality, is still competitive. If not, then might as well upgrade it.
Back to top Go down
Sandman

Sandman

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 12:21 am

APC wrote:

Unfortunately many suppliers want to make their customers believe that only buying a product will solve everything. Especially in CtP this seems to be a common practice. When you buy CtP you can print stochastic screening........ Unfortunately it is the press which makes that possible or not.......

Correct, agree, mismo, tumpak! Many CTPs can print stochastic....but not all presses can handle it.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Blade

Doctor Blade

Number of posts : 64

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 10:42 am

larrysison wrote:
APC wrote:

Correct, agree, mismo, tumpak! Many CTPs can print stochastic....but not all presses can handle it.

Laughing Tsk... Tsk... tsk.. wala na bang visitors and forum na 'to? Let's promote naman the site. Si saer Larry tuloy sumasagot na sa topic na that was posted one and a half year ago... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sandman

Sandman

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 1:36 pm

nyahahaha!!! Sir Doctor Blade.....na-gets mo ha. Very Happy Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
ea

Number of posts : 48

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 5:07 pm

Tsk... Tsk... tsk.. wala na bang visitors and forum na 'to? Let's promote naman the site. Si saer Larry tuloy sumasagot na sa topic na that was posted one and a half year ago... Very Happy[/quote]

Di naman me makasagot kasi puro pre-press ang topic. Ang gagaling pa nman ninyo. Gusto nu daanin natin sa bowling eh! Basketball

Last edited by ea on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : font color)
Back to top Go down
WORKFLOW

WORKFLOW

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2010 1:00 pm

ea wrote:
Tsk... Tsk... tsk.. wala na bang visitors and forum na 'to? Let's promote naman the site. Si saer Larry tuloy sumasagot na sa topic na that was posted one and a half year ago... Very Happy

Di naman me makasagot kasi puro pre-press ang topic. Ang gagaling pa nman ninyo. Gusto nu daanin natin sa bowling eh! Basketball[/quote]

Sure, basta wag mo lang kakampi si Vilma Mondes heheh. Hina ng bato ng bola nun pero strike palagi!
Back to top Go down
ea

Number of posts : 48

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 pm

Sure, basta wag mo lang kakampi si Vilma Mondes heheh. Hina ng bato ng bola nun pero strike palagi![/quote]

Kaya nga na-strike nya si pareng Art eh! Hahahahah! Mas kabahan ka kay partner Leila. Siya ang secret weapon kaya nagchampion kami! We beat the favorite team using our secret strategy.
Back to top Go down
printhacker

printhacker

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:11 am

ea wrote:
Tsk... Tsk... tsk.. wala na bang visitors and forum na 'to? Let's promote naman the site. Si saer Larry tuloy sumasagot na sa topic na that was posted one and a half year ago... Very Happy

Di naman me makasagot kasi puro pre-press ang topic. Ang gagaling pa nman ninyo. Gusto nu daanin natin sa bowling eh! Basketball[/quote][url]

hi! ae. tayo nalang usap mga nagsunog ng kilay mga yan. baka di lang kilay pati pilik mata. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sandman

Sandman

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 11:42 am

Kung bowling ang labanan lugi tayo diyan kay pareng Ea. Laughing
Back to top Go down
soulreaver

Number of posts : 14

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 1:48 pm

APC wrote:
Hi all,

Ctp is not a guarantee of better quality, but it improves the whole workflow. We're using prinect signa for imposition, and i think it saves us time and for my boss I think less manpower, I would agree that for it to succeed it would require the press dept. to improve.
Back to top Go down
printhacker

printhacker

Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitimeSat Apr 24, 2010 7:19 pm

soulreaver wrote:
APC wrote:
Hi all,

Ctp is not a guarantee of better quality, but it improves the whole workflow. We're using prinect signa for imposition, and i think it saves us time and for my boss I think less manpower, I would agree that for it to succeed it would require the press dept. to improve.
[url]

i guarantee the better quality if you using Heidelberg TopSetter or SupraSetter CtP with Prinect MetaDimension RIP and SignaStation Workflow.
i think your Quality is the Best. Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]   [b]CtP and quality improvement[/b] Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[b]CtP and quality improvement[/b]
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Filipino Printers Forum :: Technical Topics :: Prepress-
Jump to: