Filipino Printers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Message Board for the Philippine Printing Industry (Established 2007)

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
leo_arvada

leo_arvada

Number of posts : 29

Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper Empty
PostSubject: Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper   Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 3:35 pm

Want to know the exact lpi resolution negative output of B/W images using bookpaper for magazine w/ 2 color printing. Designed in Illustrator CS w/ link images from Photoshop. A good quality examples of printed newspaper w/ clear B/W picture. How did they do it from prepress to postpress? Big thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
http://www.eyp.ph/complete.jsp?v_listtype=3&v_criteria=D&
Flexoto

Flexoto

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper   Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2007 11:55 pm

Leo, para sa akin the best resolution will depend on the quality of equipment you have like your platemaker and offset machine and the ability of your machine operator. Technically 150lpi is better than 133lpi. But the first question is "Is your platemaker good enough to copy the image with 150lpi?" If not, then 133lpi or 120lpi is better. Second, you should ask "Is my machine and my operator is capable of handling such high resolution?". If no, then go to a lower resolution.
I suggest use 120lpi if you are using wipe-on plates and 133lpi if you are using ps plates for bookpaper. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.printers-mart.com
billy

billy

Number of posts : 179

PostSubject: Re: Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper   Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 5:36 pm

I agree with rempress,

I came from service bureau and most of the printers are using 133LPI or 120LPI. But as rempress said, if your machine and operator can handle 150Lpi why not.
Back to top Go down
presstech

presstech

Number of posts : 257

PostSubject: Re: Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper   Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 7:25 pm

When converting rgb to grayscale, I suggest you view the different channels and select the channel with the best image. In most cases this will be the red channel. After the selection you can then change mode to grayscale.
There is a technical article on this subject at www.philprinting.com .

I also agree that the usual screen resolution for bookpaper is 120 and 133 lpi. Increasing the resolution will also mean an increase in dot gain. If you use higher screen resolutions, you will have to compensate for the increase in dot gain either by lowering the middle tone of the images in PS or by using global dot gain compensation in the imagesetter rip.
Back to top Go down
leo_arvada

leo_arvada

Number of posts : 29

PostSubject: Re: Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper   Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:41 pm

Your suggestion was really helpful. I really appreciated your comments and suggestions. By this time time, I will rely on your recommendation. More power to you guys and a big thx too and this forum and to Sir Fred. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.eyp.ph/complete.jsp?v_listtype=3&v_criteria=D&
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper   Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Film output resolution of B/W images using Bookpaper
Page 1 of 1